Tips for Keeping Mosquitoes Away from the Pool – No one likes bugs, but summer is prime time for all of them – especially mosquitoes. And because mosquitoes like moist, wet places, pools and their surrounding areas can be breeding grounds for those pests. That’s because the females need to store their eggs in stagnant water. If you keep your pump going all the time and the water is flowing, they can’t lay their eggs. That’s why letting your pump run is a good idea.
How can you increase your enjoyment of your pool this summer without worrying about bugs? Here are some tips for keeping mosquitoes away.
- Use DEET: this is a common and widely available insect repellent, usually available in a spray bottle or lotion. It is effective at repelling mosquitoes but it can cause irritation to the skin, plus it can be toxic to wildlife.
- Try Picaridin: This is a gentler alternative to DEET, featuring a less offensive odor and less irritation. It is effective for mosquitoes, flies, ticks and gnats, but it doesn’t last nearly as long as DEET – 40 percent less in fact.
- Lemon Eucalyptus and Citronella: These oils are 100 percent natural, but not as effective as the stronger DEET, especially against certain mosquito species. Plus, these oils can cause irritation of the skin.
- Pyrethrin: Originating from the Chrysanthemum flower, you’ll find this more in commercial insecticides. This concoction paralyzes the nerves of mosquitos. Lower concentrations can be used as a repellent for residential use. Just be careful when using.
- Bug spraying companies: You can hire a bug spray company to come out to your home and spray for mosquitoes all around your property. Alternatively, many communities offer this as a free service, where trucks drive through neighborhoods during peak season, usually in the evening, and spray. They’ll even drive into your backyard if you ask them to.
- Plants: There are certain plants you can incorporate into your yard that act like natural mosquito repellent, such as
- Homemade bug spray: You can even make your own concoction that’s completely natural. Mix ½ cup distilled water, ½ cup apple cider vinegar and 40 drops lemongrass essential oil into a spray bottle. Spray as needed.
For more tips on how to keep bugs away this summer, call your local pool experts at Central Jersey Pools. We can also help with pool opening and maintenance. Just book your appointment today at 732-462-5005.