How to Open a Pool in Monmouth, Middlesex or Mercer County
Spring is right around the corner, and with it comes thoughts of opening the pool for an enjoyable summer of fun. While you may love daydreaming about backyard barbecues and relaxing on a float in the sparkling clear water, you may be less enthusiastic about opening your pool for the season. Central Jersey Pools is committed to ensuring your total satisfaction. Not only do we offer superior service, we also sell all the items you need to get your pool up and running again.
Here are some tips on how to open your pool this summer:
- Take off the pool cover. First, scrape off or scoop out any debris such as leaves and twigs from the cover to make this task easier.
- Pump out any water from the cover that may have accumulated.
- Before storing your cover for the season, clean it and leave it to dry completely.
Water Addition and Equipment Reconnection
- Add more water to the pool to get achieve normal levels.
- Take out any freeze plugs you may have installed before the winter hit.
- Remove winter plugs.
- Reconnect all equipment, such as pump and filter.
- Clear out the drain lines from any antifreeze.
- Clean out the filter.
- Test it out by starting it up.
- Don’t forget to prime the pump before revving up the motor.
- Release any air that may be built up.
- Inspect for leaks.
- Take a look at the state of the water to make sure it is still clear and blue.
- Clean out debris with a skimmer.
- Vacuum out dirt, algae, bits of debris and sand.
- Let the water sit for up to 12 hours so the new and old water can mix properly together.
- Test the water.
- Add the chemicals in the right order.
- Test for pH, calcium hardness, alkalinity, chlorine and other components.
- Put in all accessories, such as handrails and ladders.
- Make sure the diving board looks good, with no cracks or other signs of wear and tear.
- Make sure the pool tile is clean. Scrub the grout in between with baking soda and a brush.
- Vacuum the pool again.
Run the Systems
- Turn on the filter and circulation systems and let them run while you sleep.
- Add shock to the pool to get rid of any bacteria that has remained through all your cleaning efforts.
- Add algae control throughout the summer to prevent this substance from coating the liner of your pool or on top of the water.
We know these steps can be confusing. That’s why here at Central Jersey Pool, our trained professionals can assist you in opening your pool for the season. We would be happy to show you how to do it so next time you can handle the steps yourself if you want. Make an appointment each spring for us to come out and properly open your pool. Remember: opening a pool involves much more than taking the cover off and throwing a bunch of chemicals in. It’s a process that must be done methodically and efficiently for the highest rate of success.